Friday, December 12, 2008

First full week @ CHOC

So, I finished my first full week on the floor at CHOC and so far I like it. There are things that are of course done differently at CHOC compared with UCI, and it's bigger with more nurses (so that's way more names & faces to try and remember) but overall good.
I am really not very good with names and so, I am finding myself feeling a little embarrassed not remembering my co-workers (however there are a lot of nurses there). Hopefully soon I will start to recognize more people and make some friends that I can resource.

I have to admit - it's a tough transition because I've only worked at one hospital and now I have to learn a whole new way of doing things (and try not to think of it as 'wrong' - just different). I already feel the need to do some research into the reasons behind some policies and discover the truth behind them so I can feel better about the change. For now, I just need to learn them and get used to it.
I also realize that there are many different managers to get to know and I need to discover how to navigate the systems for scheduling, breaks, holidays, pay, offices, resources, etc. It's been a little daunting to realize there is so much to learn and get used to.

For now, I'll just keep chugging away and put my name on the list for dayshift. :-)

0 comments: