Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Health care and Colbert

Lately I have been having a blast getting my updates on the goings-on of the country and world from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. I often find it hilarious that their fact-checking seems to be better than some of the main-stream media news programs. :-)

I love some of the clips from the town-hall meetings across the country of people who are very ill-informed and close-minded. "We are afraid of Obama!" "Why are you afraid of Obama?" "He's a Socialist!!!!" (From the Monday August 10th episode - it's a good one)

The death panels are the best part of the whole thing - hilarious! I am also a little surprised at the comparisons to the Nazi party. Where are we getting this stuff? I highly recommend watching the episode I've linked below - about 10 minutes into it there's a hilarious segment on the "death panels"

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/240653/mon-august-10-2009-douglas-brinkley

After that, I was rolling in laughter over Stephen Cobert's medical report last week also (I forget the date - I think it was August 13th, you can check the website also).

As I and many others have mentioned before, despite the fact that we are an extremely wealthy nation with high tech, advanced medical care - we continue to rank extremely low on the world health organization's ranking of the world's health care systems. We rank 37 - which is below Costa Rica, 10 below Saudi Arabia, and well below the high ranking Switzerland, Sweden, Japan, Spain, etc. Interestingly enough both Canada and the United Kingdom rank quite a few higher than we do and they both have national health care plans. So, despite the propaganda from some news sources, something must be working there.

I am not sure that the plan that is put forth from the Obama administration will be perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement and in the mean time - I'll laugh hilariously at the news brought forth from sources I trust - Comedy Central. :-)

0 comments: