We've hit week 16 today and all continues to go along swimmingly. :-) Even though the baby is changing and growing a ton, not too much changes for me week to week thankfully. I am beginning to round out just a smidge more. One thing I'm excited about is that after my crazy gain of 2 pounds one week, I didn't gain any this past week, so I'm still on track for normal weight gain. This can result in health benefits for me and the widget. Gaining too much weight can leave widget at risk of growing rather large and lead to possible birth complications, also possible health problems in the way of obesity later in life. My question is how much of this is related to families' habits rather than just weight gain during pregnancy?
Hear me out - when you see a person who is obese, more often than not, the whole family appears to have a problem with weight right? Many people will say that there is a genetic component to weight problems and to some extent I will agree with them. On the other hand poor habits travel with and through families. When you grow up eating huge portions of unhealthy food, you often continue to eat that way in adulthood and then pass it on to your own children. If your parents are not active and not encouraging activity it is unlikely that you'll run out and become active on your own. Therefore, I am a firm believer that what we teach our children about food, health, and exercise will serve them in multiple ways over their lifetime.
My own parents eat quite healthy and taught me a love of healthy food and cooking since my younger days. I have many memories of spending time in the kitchen with both parents making healthy meals. They also encouraged activity with us and exercised themselves. I am certain that Nick and I will be able to impart these same lessons to our own children because we both love healthy food and exercise ourselves.
- How far along? 16 weeks and 0 days
- How big is baby? - size of an avocado, 4.5 inches from head to bottom & about 3.5 oz in weight
- Weight gain thus far - still 7 lbs total. Despite another indulgent weekend, I've held steady.
- Baby's new tricks/development - Widget's scalp hair began to grow and the pattern is setting. Widget is also starting to grow toenails and the little heart is pumping 25 quarts of blood a day by now.
- Cravings? - I do have a hankering for Salt and Vinegar chips :-) Also, chocolate mmm - Belly Bar's 'Baby needs Chocolate' has been my go to healthy craving satisfier
- Best moment this week -I had two. First, I can now feel little widget moving inside me! :-) Second, attending Nick's maternal Grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary weekend with his whole family. Everyone was very excited to spend time together and hear more about the baby. We are starting a pool to guess the sex since we find out in two weeks.


0 comments:
Post a Comment