It's been awhile since I've had the time and energy to sit down and blog, but I have to write about my research lately. Cole is keeping me happily busy, but is napping currently - so sweet to see him sleeping soundly on his monitor. :-)
He is getting close to the age when we will start solid foods so I began researching a little more about how to make and store baby food because I want to give him the best and healthiest start to life. I have heard about dangerous chemicals in plastics due to baby registry (every where the bottles are labeled - BPA free), but I must say I'm shocked to find out there are many more harmful chemicals lurking in our foods and storage systems. I heard that there were harmful chemicals that lie in plastic food storage containers and so I bought some glass ones and tried my best to use only those for storing and heating my food while pregnant with Cole to reduce his exposure to the chemicals. I must say that despite the extra money, I'm ready to toss all our plastic containers and purchase all glass ones to help reduce the whole family's exposure.
Not only is there BPA in plastic, but now I'm reading more about phthalates and PVC which can mimic hormones and can cause all kinds of problems. These chemicals are also in the lining of canned food and all kinds of plastic. I know that it is most healthy to eat fresh foods from the outer lanes of the grocery stores, but now I am going to renew my commitment to make healthy food for my family. It will be hard to give up a lot of the more convenient foods that I've grown accustomed to - particularly with a new baby taking up a lot of my time, but I do only work 2 days a week, so I'm pretty sure I can try to make it work. This will mean truly more time spent meal planning and making food, but I really should for my own health let alone the health of Nick and Cole. Right now, what I eat becomes what Cole eats also. I do not know if these chemicals entering my body make it through to my breastmilk, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Wish me luck on my renewed commitment and send along any easy recipes you have containing healthy, fresh ingredients for my family.
Thursday, May 19, 2011
I'm shocked and dismayed
Posted by Victoria at 10:46 AM
Labels: babies, breastfeeding, cooking, family, food, health/health care
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment