In light of my growing interest in mother-baby issues, I have begun researching more in this topic, and debating a move towards midwifery/L&D nursing. I hope to begin volunteering at a birthing center in the area and get some experience with healthy newborns and happy deliveries. As a NICU nurse, we often become quite jaded with our ideas about birth and pregnancy - and we are usually scared of it/more nervous about it.
I however hope to avoid this when I choose to become pregnant myself and hope to give birth in the most natural way possible. Of course when I mention this to my co-workers they often think I'm a little crazy - we'll see.
Well, in my searching online I came across and interesting article from AWHONN (Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses) which shows that some studies suggest that having an epidural with opioid drugs during labor and delivery can increase the chance of developing problems with breastfeeding - which can lead to the end of breastfeeding attempt early in the newborn's life. Being a big advocate of breastfeeding and it's benefits - I find this interesting and upsetting. This of course gives me another piece of ammo in my pocket against getting an epidural once I give birth. Also, it's something to think about.
You can read this article (click on the title of the post above) and other great news on the Women's Health government site or AWHONN:
http://womenshealth.gov and http://www.awhonn.org
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Breastfeeding problems and epidurals
Posted by Victoria at 2:47 PM
Labels: birth, breastfeeding, neonatal, nursing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment